Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Yemenis in NY

Many Yemenis live and work in New York City. In my opinion, these are mostly men, who are here to work off-the-books so that they can send money back home to Yemen. Often, they are sending money to their wives and children. Sadly, this is very common, meaning they are here apart from their families.

I know of a lot of guys who work in delis, convenience stores, bodegas, newsstands and the like. I'm not exactly sure what draws Yemenis into this line of work. I guess it might be similar to why there are so many Vietnamese nail salons, Chinese dry cleaning and Sudani cab drivers? Maybe everyone else is doing it

Anyway, the life of the "bodega" Yemeni isn't ideal. Usually he'll work seven days a week, 12 hours a day. No days off, no vacations, sick days, half-days, holidays, weekends. Seriously. I suppose it's a similar story for a lot of people who came to this country, working long, hard hours, in search for a better life. But I digress...

He will work at the cash register and/or stock shelves. A lot of times, I've seen these guys come off the airplane, straight from the village and thrust into work. Yemen is an Islamic country. Not ultra-conservative, I don't think, but fairly conservative. Yet these Yemenis will come to NYC, and start slicing ham and salami for sandwiches, stocking beer in the coolers, selling scratch-off lottery tickets and maintaining inventory on newspapers and magazines, including X-rated reads. All of these were haram where they came from, so it's an understatement to say it's a culture shock.

Many guys suck it up and deal with it, maintaining the values they grew up with. They realize it's part of the job, earning a living to send money home, all the while asking God for forgiveness.

For other guys, they can't deal with it, and succumb to the pressure, to the "sins" and guilty pleasures.

My husband and I know of people on both ends of the spectrum. The ones who fall are such sad, pathetic creatures. Drinking, doing/selling drugs, cavorting with prostitutes. Interestingly enough though, I've never known of a Yemeni to eat pork. I guess some haram is worse than others!

Of course, like anything, there are exceptions to the people I've described. We also know of Yemenis who have their families here, raising their kids. Eventually, there are Yemenis (Yemeni-Americans) going to college and working 9 to 5 jobs just like any John Doe. However, these really are the exception. My husband and I only know of few people who don't fit the mold and they are usually the younger, rich generation, offspring of government elite.

I mentioned earlier that many Yemenis in NYC work in convenience stores. I think the next job of choice is taxi-cab driver. The ones who save up for a taxi or limousine license, learn enough English to get by, learn enough of NYC traffic patterns.

To me, working in a convenience store or taxi-cab are 2 of the most dangerous jobs they can pick. Cash transactions, dealing with the general public. Convenience stores are often near train stations or bus lines. It's too easy to get robbed in a deli or a taxi-cab.

My husband worked in a convenience store in NYC and he's been robbed at gunpoint TWICE This shouldn't be a typical workplace danger, unless you work in a combat zone.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes I know about the dangers of working in a convenience store. NY is not as bad bc of the police surveillance but states like TN, MS,and such Yemenis clerks are being killed every week. Just make du'a and hopefully your husband can get into another line of work.

    ReplyDelete